Loudocracy
Friday, April 09, 2004
 
*** Iraq

Things are possibly much worse in Iraq than is being reported in the US media. (Big shocker, I know). I'm sure you're reading Juan Cole anyway, but in case you somehow missed it, you must read this post. He mentions the food convoy that was sent into Falluja. I saw a report on CNN this morning about this and they were reporting that the insurgents had fired upon the convoy. Well, the arab media is reporting that the convoy was attacked by Americans, although some American soldiers apparently were insubordinate and unwilling to fire upon the convoy.

One of my friends recently asked me what I thought would happen in Iraq, and I said that it is looking increasingly possible that we could suffer a military defeat. I'm not sure exactly what that means or what the parameters of such a defeat would look like, but if we can't control the supply lines into Baghdad, this whole war could come to a crashing halt. The experts don't seem to think that this could happen, so maybe I shouldn't be making predictions sitting here in my office in New York. But this is uncharted territory for the US military. And even as professional as they are, with our moronic civilian leadership, who knows what might happen?
Site Meter

Powered by Blogger