Loudocracy
Wednesday, November 10, 2004
 
** Iraq

Yesterday I wrote about the attack on Falluja and why I didn't think that it would be effective. I feel obliged today to point you to this NYTimes op-ed piece by James Marks, who was the senior intelligence officer for the ground forces during last year's invasion of Iraq. This is a well-written, intelligent article, and he sets forth the counterargument as to why we should be doing this and why it might work. In particular, he discusses the vulnerabilities of the insurgents and how we can beat them by taking ground, paying off informers, and exploiting political differences amongst the various subgroups. I recommend that you read the article, and in a week or a month we can look back and see who was correct. Because I'm standing by my comments.
Site Meter

Powered by Blogger